Tuesday, January 6, 2009

Deadlift


Currently, I have been working on finding what my 1 Rep Max (1RM) is for several olympic weightlifting moves. In order to compete someday I need to be able to lift more than I can now and get up and beyond the female prescribed weights. My trainer, Ryan, and I are in the proccess of developing a new strength program that is going to help me get to these goals.

Yesterday was deadlifts. Before this my 1RM was 135lbs. Since that time I have actually done several Workout of the Days (WODs) with this weight. I knew I could go heavier and so I warmed up with this weight and progressed from there. I had 5 chances and added weight each time. My 5th round I was at 195 and thought I could go a little more, so I added one more chance. I gathered a witness and then did it, 200 lbs! That's right, I deadlifted 200 lbs!

It wasn't until a few hours later when I was talking to Ryan that I realized I deadlifted more than my bodyweight. His response was "Well, duh." I guess it is sometimes hard to forget that I am not THAT person anymore. It is also important to stop and reflect once in awhile at just how far I have come since April. I remember doing push-presses with 25lbs and thinking I was doing to die because of how heavy it was and now look at me! But I also need to take these accomplishments and motivate myself to go even farther. Ryan also told me, "don't get content. Push your body and mind to be better nad break new molds!"

No comments: